Re: How does Access 97 rate as a front end?

From: Dave <david.swanson_at_sprintranet.com>
Date: 1998/12/15

It really depends on what you are wanting to do... I've used it for viewing data in the database, it can also be used for queries, forms, reports, etc. The main drawbacks I experienced are:

  1. Since you are going through ODBC, KNOW you will experience slower performance than if you were going directly to the database.
  2. If you know VBA, you will be able to easily create customized forms, reports, etc... The problem is if you don't know VBA, which I don't...
  3. I've experienced a few bugs with ODBC not supporting some of the Oracle 8 objects or new size restrictions for some of their objects.. In particular, my last bug involved a memo field of over 2000 characters being imported into Oracle from Access... Even though the Oracle field was 4000 characters long, Access puked after 2000 characters...

I would really say it depends on what you want to do... There is one thing I would not recommend doing through ODBC and that is large database loads..