Re: Oracle sucks on NT, was Re: 8.5 OPINION

From: Todd Bandrowsky <tbandrowsky_at_del.net>
Date: 1998/12/15

>> if Oracle is bad software there is realy NO good software!

Oracle is overpriced bloatware. We run it on everything from giant sun boxes (Enterprise series) on down to workstations. In terms of "normal" SQL server type of stuff - inserts, selects and things like that, it is actually pretty slow.

I think that the NT implementation of Oracle might be problematic, as Office 2000 Access can actually be faster for certain things than Oracle on the same hardware.

>The consensus that my Oracle using coworkers and I
>have about Oracle is that their database servers are generally very
>good, but their client building tools stink, at least, leave something
>to be desired.

Is somebody whose making $150/hr as an Oracle consultant really going to tell you that Oracle might suck? I mean, ok, PL/SQL seems more powerful than Transact SQL, but why have all that on the server anyway and not in a middle tier... Besides, an Interdev license is not much more than barfola SQL*Plus.

>Haven't ran Oracle Server on NT, so I don't know what that's like.

Yikes! (Access is almost better). Oracle/NT is ok to install, but genuinely Solaris is Oracle's happiest land. I've heard of many many bugs.

Pretty much for any database of like under 300GB, I'd say SQL Server 7 would compare well with Oracle 8, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

For example, if you tell Oracle you are setting up an e-business that uses Oracle, then they will try and sell you a "service bureau license", or make you pay a huge amount of cash by user / cpu.. but MS just says pay 3k plus licenses for your inhouse folks and you have unlimited internet connectivity. that is a huge, huge, difference in price. For where I work, SQL Server would have been about 200,000 dollars cheaper (annually) in licensing fees alone, and vb / sql people are a hell of a lot less expensive than Oracle people. But SQL Server can't comfortably deal with a muliterabyte database, so, write the big check.

Maybe its ok that MS gets stomped on a bit by DOJ, but I really hope they crush Oracle, because other than capacity I think Oracle is a ripoff.