Re: Oracle8 vs. MS Access

From: Ron Denham <MyEmail=ronnied_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/12/12

[Quoted] MS Access requires access to the file, since it is file based. That also means all user must be able to get at the same file server (which is an admin nightmare in a large organization) and, the biggie, all users have the ability to overwrite the file on the file server. Locking is done at the, you guessed it, the file level. Big downer since you can't have "row level locking". Since file access is 100's of time slower than memory access, you'll crap out on a server with more than 10 heavy users.

Clients request information from the Oracle server. Only the Oracle server has access to the files. Locking is handled in [Quoted] memory by the server at the row level. Since the server can do so many things in memory, it is blistering fast compared to a file based database like MS Access. Also, the Oracle server is nearly impossible to hack or crash so it is very safe and stable.