Re: Oracle sucks on NT, was Re: 8.5 OPINION

From: Eugene Fan <eugenef_at_tidalwave.net>
Date: 1998/12/11

Robin Quasebarth wrote:

> Hmmm, so you don't like anything that you have used. I have developed some
> incredible things with Dev2k. Wonder why you aren't getting rave results?

Perhaps you're overstating your accomplishments? :) I don't doubt you developed great things with Dev2K, but you seem to keep forgetting my beef with Dev2K is the way it hogs and trashes memory on Windows, not what it can or cannot do it. I never said "Bore-acle" as I call it sometimes is short on features. Just that it makes for an "explosive combination" with used with Windows.

I've done programming long enough to tell the difference between crappiness caused by poor implementation on our own part versus crappines caused by bugs and deficiencies in a development tool. I don't blame our own mistakes on Oracle, don't need to. Oracle gives me plenty of heartburn all by itself.

> I have had success with "quick and dirty" as well a 'complex and clean.'

Want to move to the Washington DC area and come work for us? :)

> > > And if you ever try to
> > >load BOTH Forms and Reports 3.0 Builder at the same time, say good night.
> >

> ... I only had problems on my AST Bravo 5133 w/NT when I opened
> both Forms and Reports.

You too? Why am I not surprised?

> However, my users have not had problems using the .fmx
> files and FRUN. I do remember not being able to open multilple apps (Oracle or
> not) well on the AST when it was Windows 3.1 even though it had plenty of RAM until
> someone did some high-mem dinking. Then it was amazing. I wonder why you are
> having so many problems and I am not.

Selective memory?

> I now have an HP Kayak with 256 RAM.

[Quoted] Is that all you need for a Oracle development PC? Gee, what were we thinking with only 64?

> But some of my users have only 32.

[Quoted] Just 32? I remember in the early years of our project when we were still using Forms 4.0 and our app had to run on a 386 with 8MB RAM and Win 3.1. That was not a pretty sight. Fortunately, our clients upgraded their hardware along with the rest of the world, so that requirement became moot.

> > >While NT deserves blame for not being robust enough to completely
> > >contain Oracle's memory hogging and leaking habits, that
> > >does not exonerate Oracle from committing those sins in the first.
>
> Oracle could smooth out the edges a bit but Dev2k is a very powerful tool if you
> have powerful ideas. rq

"Smooth out the edges a bit"? That's an understatement. In our recent Developer 2K, Release 2.1, I can recount off the top of my head:

Forms Builder 5.0
a. Menu option to search and replace text in all PL/SQL program

   units causes GPF. It has NEVER done anything else for me.    Does the same to everyone else in our workgroup.

b. Attempt to embed a certain third party OCX control results

   in GPF. Alright, it *may* not be Bore-acle's fault. Maybe.

Reports 3.0
[Quoted] .rep's generated against one database instance does not run against a different instance having the identical table schema. This problem was corrected by applying the August Dev 2K patch.

And from checking MetalLink, another patch was released in mid November. Just another 145 MB to download...

[Quoted] I'm convinced Dev 2K R 2.1 is NOT a quality release, that it's rushed to market like too many other software titles these days. [Quoted] But it's apparent from our exchange that we won't change each other's [Quoted] minds. But if you judged Windows with same lattitude you show to Dev 2K, then Windows isn't so bad, is it? What's an occasional BSOD or a little memory mismanagement between friends, right? Just a few edges to be smoothed out by Micro$oft, right?

Sure...

--
Eugene