Re: Oracle sucks on NT, was Re: 8.5 OPINION

From: Eugene Fan <eugenef_at_tidalwave.net>
Date: 1998/12/10

(Mac ng trimmed from header, no longer relevant to thread.)

Robin Quasebarth wrote:

> Hmmmmm, I would be curious to hear what you think is a good tool. Is there a
> learning curve you are having problems with or is it RDBMS concepts you have
> problems with? I use NT. NT (Well, Windows for that matter) is a sucky
> operating system but that is what the world seems to be stuck with right now.
> It seems more stable with Service Pack 3 but still amazes me that Windows is
> ruling the world and so clugey and un-innovative.

[Quoted] I noticed a lot of pro-Oracle people are also very anti-Microsoft (well, who isn't anti-M$ these days?), is that where you are coming from? I personally have little affection for either of them.

[Quoted] What is a good tool? I'm caught in the "Grass is Greener on the Other Side" syndrome, so a good tool is whatever I haven't used. I heard good things about PowerBuilder, but that was a couple of years back and probably no longer relevant. Heard good things about ERwin, haven't used it. Heard good things about Visual Basic, until the recent version 6. But I've used Oracle Forms and Reports for years and I don't have a high opinion of them.

> However, I have used the
> Oracle Forms and Reports (I hated SQL*Forms) since their beginning and the
> tools are quite incredible when used with a properly designed and constrained
> database other than getting Windows to handle memory properly. All the stuff
> they do automatically compared to VB and such make my life a breeze and
> applications are up and running correctly in no time not to mention
> user-friendly. Maybe there is a problem in your database design or your
> understanding of Oracle concepts. rq

[Quoted] [Quoted] IMNSHO, Oracle Forms & Reports are great for building "quick and dirty" database applications. To coworkers, I described Forms as a "knockoff of Visual Basic that's especially geared towards accessing databases", especially, surprise, Oracle's.

[Quoted] However, you might've missed the beginning of this subthread where I recounted the "heap corrupting, stack trashing fun" of running Oracle client building tools on Windows. Guess I forgot "memory leaking", but it was obvious my problems were memory-related; they had NOTHING to do with not understanding Oracle concepts or database design, of which I am quite well-versed in, thank you.

[Quoted] [Quoted] And before you lay the blame of memory mismanagement entirely at the feet of Windows, think about this: Why is it that almost every time I run [Quoted] Form Builder 5.0 and Forms Runtime, I get a blue screen or other total system crash before reaching the end of the day, sometimes several times in a single day? On days when I'm running other programs instead of Oracle, this almost never happens. And this is on a pentium 166 Mhz pc with 64 MB RAM. On my humble 32 MB, 75 Mhz PC at home, where [Quoted] I don't run Oracle, wipeouts don't happen often. And if you ever try to [Quoted] load BOTH Forms and Reports 3.0 Builder at the same time, say good night.

[Quoted] Things improved noticeably when I upgraded from Win 95 to NT 4, to 233 Mhz PII, same 64 MB RAM. At least I don't get blue screens any more and reboot a lot less. And if I run out of memory, NT usually just kills the new app I try to start. But even NT is not immune from Oracle's delterious effects on memory. I mentioned how once I temporarily lost the ability to access the a: floppy drive. Another time, some shared component in memory got whacked so I couldn't run any Oracle programs at all until I rebooted.

[Quoted] [Quoted] While NT deserves blame for not being robust enough to completely [Quoted] [Quoted] contain Oracle's memory hogging and leaking habits, that [Quoted] does not exonerate Oracle from committing those sins in the first.

G'night.

--
Eugene