Can't create a simple select procedure

From: <awold_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:03:43 GMT

[Quoted] Ok, I'm new to oracle but before I go out and get "Idiot" tatooed onto my forehead I thought I'd toss my problem out here. I can't seem to create a simple select procedure. All I want to do is "SELECT * FROM CMS_APP". I can [Quoted] easily run this from SQL Plus 8.0. But when I go to created this as a procedure it always compiles with errors. Ok, so this is what I do:
  1. Start up Oracle Enterprise Manager
  2. In the pane showING the folder tree I navigate to DATABASES|MYDATABASE|SCHEMA OBJECTS|PROCEDURES|SSUSER (SSUSER is my schema) [Quoted]
  3. Right click on SSUSER and choose Create...
  4. Now I get the create dialog, I give the procedure some name
  5. Then in the Source text box I enter AS BEGIN SELECT * FROM CMS_APP; END;
  6. I OK the dialog, the dialog goes away, I right click on SSUSER again but choose Quick Edit... to edit the procedure
  7. The status of the procedure is INVALID and when I click on the Show Errors [Quoted] button I get another dialog that show the following 2 lines:

PLS-00428: an INTO clause is expected in this SELECT statement PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored

8) Can anyone tell me why something as simple as this doesn't work! I've already looked up the error number PLS-00428 and that doesn't tell me anything. If instead I try an SQL statement such as this:

INSERT INTO CMS_APP (appname,version) VALUES ('some app name','some version')

[Quoted] I can create the procedure with know problem. Anybody know why I should be experiencing this problem?

Tony W.
Renaissance Worldwide, Inc
awold_at_rens.com
awold_at_usa.net