Application standards w/Forms 5.0???

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:44:37 GMT

Hello,

[Quoted]   I need some advice on how to distribute standards using Forms 5.0. My development team is in the process of establishing standards for an application (fonts, colors, format masks, etc.) but are having trouble deciding how to use them effectively. At the moment our standards exist as an Object Group of alerts, visual attributes (some sub-classed to a base visual attribute), and property classes (many sub-classed to various other property classes) in a particular form module. With this hierarchy of visual [Quoted] attributes and property classes, it is easy to quickly change the appearance/behavior of the application, which was the intended goal. HOWEVER, transfer of our standards to other form modules is proving to be difficult. Doing a straight copy of the Object Group destroys the subclass parent -> child links. Choosing to subclass the Object Group during the transfer doesn't work as desired (subclassing actual instances of text items, [Quoted] for example, has on effect at all). Object Libraries appear to have the same [Quoted] shortcomings. I've also tried transferring the property classes and visual attributes individually, but again, no dice. Is there something I am missing? [Quoted]  At the moment, the only way I can see to distribute our standards is to actually begin development of each form with our standards module. Any future changes to the standards, however, will have to be duplicated in every [Quoted] form module. There must be a better way, no? Thanks for any suggestions.

Cary