Re: Updating TNSNAMES.ORA file from the command line?

From: <mikkro_at_hbsi.com>
Date: 1998/12/08

In article <74a5ho$c0h$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   mgogala_at_rocketmail.com wrote:
> In article <749pr3$og4$1_at_news-2.csn.net>,
> "Sheila Hatfield" <Sheila.Hatfield_at_experian.com> wrote:
> > We have an application that uses a variety of databases on our clients
> > sites. They need access to these databases
> > and our installation program needs to configure their TNSNAMES.ORA and
> > SQLNET.ORA files correctly to connect up and run our application. (The
> > databases which need to be configured are normally in flux, we'd like a
> > dynamic way of updating the
> > clients oracle configuration.)
> >
> > Two problems:
> > 1. If we modify the either of these files outside of the SQLNet Easy
> > Configuration utility the file(s) are marked as invalid, and the next time
> > you do use the try to use the utility the changes the installtion program
> > made are lost.
The file can be updated via an editor.

The files size in bytes is compared to a line in sqlnetv2.cfg (look under the network/cfg directory) If that number is correct, the changes are considered OK.

> > 2. Also it's a time consuming task to parse through this file and determine
> > if an entry for a database already exists in the file, and if so to update
> > the entry correctly with new information.

Do not know.
> > Does anyone know of a way to update this file from the command line or a
> > utility that would do this ? And also possibly have the changes be accepted
> > by the SQL Net Easy Config?
> >
> > Any help or info is appreciated. Please send a copy of your response to
> > Sheila.Hatfield_at_experian.com
> > Thanks!
> >
> > ~~
> > Sheila Hatfield
> > Software Engineer, Experian Database Marketing Solutions -- Denver, CO
> > Sheila.Hatfield_at_experian.com
> >

> Have you considered Oracle Names? It does exactly what you want. It updates
> name server and clients get database names from the name servers.
>
> --
> Mladen Gogala

Michael Krolewski
mikkro_at_hbsi.com
All opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer.