Re: Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8 migration

From: Andrew Protasov <oracle_at_protasov.kiev.ua>
Date: 1998/12/04

Hi,

I migrated from 7.3.2 to 8.0.3.

I tried Migration Assistant with the poor result. The problem is that this java program simply runs some scripts and does not show any error messages. My problem was with parameter checkpoint_process in my version 7.3.2 file initorcl.ora. It is obsolete in 8.0.3. Oracle 8 did not open database with this parameter. Another problem that you can not do cold backups before critical points using assistant. If any problem occures you must start from the very beginning. So, I did not tried to run assistant again and simply recreated database in 8.0.3 and imported export file from 7.3.2.

The second database was migrated to Oracle 8 using Migration Utility. I read accurately Oracle8 Getting Started for Windows NT, Server Migration and Release Notes. I executed all steps from Oracle8 Getting Started for Windows NT one by one using Migration Utility MIG80.EXE. This approach works fine, but don't forget to upgrade your sql*net 7.3.3 from Oracle 8.0.3 installation. Migration Utility does not work without such an upgrade.

After upgrade I encountered that REF is now reserved word (we have package with this name). It is possible to have REF package, but it is impossible to call it with this name in other packages. So I created ref0 synonym for ref package and used it for references. Other way is simply to rename package.

One query in 8.0.3 with RULE optimization had bad explain plan compared to 7.2. Our production is oracle 7.2 and I compared with it. This query was rewritten. Other code works fine.

There was problem with to_char(<date_expression>,<date_format>) calls. The length of the result is calculated differently on describe in 7.2 (not correctly) and in 8.0.3(correctly). But Delphi client stored described length for 7.2, so I changed it for 8.0.3.

Andrew Protasov