question: Object Groups versus Object Libraries

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_you.cant.spam.me>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 19:41:14 GMT

[Quoted] Hello all!

We are in the middle of converting (or trying to) an application from 16bit Forms 4.5 to Forms 5.0 (Dev2k 2.1 on Win95). The existing forms make use of a "template.fmb" that is has an "object group" with a button toolbar and a few other items. This "object group" is then copied by reference into EVERY other form.

Has anyone looked at the benefits of object libraries versus object groups. At first I thought I would replace the object group by creating an object library, copying everything in the object group to the object library and then deleting the reference to object group and replacing it with the reference to the object library. (The template also had some form level triggers like "key-up", "key-entqry", "key-exeqry", and "when -new-form-instance" which I also copied to the object library).

Well after doing a single form, I realized this is going to be WAY WAY Way way ... too much work to replace the object group using an object library. So, can anyone explain to me the advantages / disadvantages of leaving the object group instead of an object library?

Also, we want to reverse-engineer these forms into Des2k and then forward generate them after we make a few minor changes.

Many thanks
Babette Turner-Underwood (babettet_at_tmi.ca) Received on Fri Dec 04 1998 - 20:41:14 CET

Original text of this message