Update Statement ...

From: MN <mirek1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:51:52 -0500

[Quoted] [Quoted] I'm trying compare two table in Oracle and with a firstname and lastname matches fill-in a pager pin number.

This is the sql statement I'm running

update addressbook2 set pin =
[Quoted] (select pin from phonebook where phonebook.firstname=addressbook2.firstname and
[Quoted] phonebook.lastname=addressbook2.lastname) where addressbook2.firstname IN (select firstname from phonebook) and addressbook2.lastname IN (select lastname from phonebook)

but I get an error message saying:
ORA-01427: single-row subquery returns more than one row

My question is can I update the table even when there are duplicates in the tables. The query runs perfect when both tables are unique.

Thank you for any help.

MN Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 20:51:52 CET

Original text of this message