Re: Poor Forms query performance

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 2 Dec 1998 03:57:40 GMT

>Hi,
> I have a 1 master table, and 4 detail tables with about 40000 records =
>each. Since I have to query from any field, either from master or =
>detail, or both. So I create a view that join all these tables, and then =
>create a form base on that view. However, It takes more than 10 minutes =
>to query even one record. I try tuning the SGA and rebulding the index, =
>but still no lucks. Can you teach me how to improve the performance? Any =
>suggestion is highly appericated.
> I am running Oracle 8.0 on NT Server 4.0 with 128 RAM.

You are doing the right thing... view to query on any column. You said you have rebuild the indexes; have you used TRACE or EXPLAIN PLAN to confirm that the indexes are in fact being used? If you are doing an unqualifed query, cost-based optimization will usually do a full table scan. Functions on columns in the where or order by will cause indexes to be ignored, as will OR statements in the WHERE. (These are true on 7.x; I am assuming the are still true on 8.x)

Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 04:57:40 CET

Original text of this message