Re: Oracle Forms On The Web

From: Timothy Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:00:37 -0500

96 Mb is not a lot of memory to run a Web server, a database server and a Forms server. I'm an Oracle pre-sales consultant and do Web Forms demos all the time. My set up is a 150 Mhz Toshiba laptop with 144Mb of memory. I run NT Workstation 4.0, Oracle8 Enterprise, Oracle WebServer 3.0.1, Netscape 4.0.5 and JInitiator. Performance is very good - better be for a demo! If I have more than two or three Forms connections performance starts to degrade.

Try your test with a real server: a Pentium II with a lot of RAM running just your web server and the Forms server. I think you'll be impressed. There are metrics in the Developer Server documentation to assist in server sizing. There are also some interesting white papers on Oracle's web site.

Tim Taylor
Technical Account Manager
Oracle Government
Reston, VA

Jochen Van den Bossche wrote:

> Patrick Flahan wrote:
> >
> > I am currently working on a project where we will be using Forms as an
> > interim solution. I was wondering if anybody out there who has either
> > deployed or tried to deploy Forms on web could give me any feedback about
> > their experiences. I am trying to figure out if I should even bother pursing
> > this course. The forms would be deployed on a National intra-net with about
> > 2000 users total with about 1000 on line at peak times.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Patrick Flahan
> >
> > flahan_at_earthlink.net
>
> Forms Server lets you view the forms as a Java Applet in 'any' browser.
> I have done a test: One Intel Celeron with 96Mb ram running NT4 WKS, the
> Micro$oft web server (what's the name again?), the database (Oracle
> 7.3.4) and the Forms Server; One Pentium machine running NT4 WKS and
> Internet Explorer 4 as the client. The two machines were connected with
> a classic 10Mb/s Ethernet with hardly any other traffic.
> The conclusion was that it was simply too slooooooooowwwwwww!
> Maybe a real server will do the job better. Maybe the JInitiator plugin
> from Oracle (see Technet) will do a better job.
>
> PS: My biggest surprise: I couldn't get the forms running under
> Netscape!!
> If you do some tests youself, or start using this solution, let me know
> (THX)

|                  http://govt.us.oracle.com                   |
|Timothy E. Taylor             Internet: ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com |
|Technical Account Manager     Office:   703.364.2407          |
|Oracle Government             Fax:                            |