Re: Visual Basic and Oracle??

From: <bgeake_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/12/01

In article <7404qn$njh$1_at_news.hughes.net>,   "Fearless" <FearlessFly_at_~no-spam~usa.net> wrote:
> Can anyone in this newsgroup direct me to any info, ie. White Paper, FAQ
> Sheet, etc., on using Oracle within Visual Basic 6.
>
> I understand the beyond the basics of VB6 and ODBC, etc.; however, I would
> like to have some solid info beyond what Microsoft provides. Most of the
> books on the market that cover VB only cover SQL Server with VB. I know
> that there are similarities of use between these two ClientServers, but I
> would like specific info as it relates to Oracle.
>
> Has anybody had any success in using the Oracle Control that ships with VB6
> (very poorly documented, if at all)?
>
> Books?
> Third-Party Products?
> Anybody with solid experience?

I use Oracle Objects for OLE. This seemed to work OK in VB3; I'm porting to VB5 at the moment, and it's too early to say whether anything else is better. In VB3, OO4O certainly beat ODBC for speed. I never found any books which gave OO4O more than a cursory (pun not intended) glance; the help is no worse than lots of other stuff these days. In short, I don't like OO4O all that much but I know it.

HTH Bill Geake
Disclaimer: nothing to do with my employer