Re: installation

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:55:29 GMT

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 00:24:33 -0800, "Hui-Mei" <h0p2468_at_acs.tamu.edu> wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a PC with window95. Recently, I got a trial version of Personal
>Oracle8 and Oracle client. They both used orawin95 as the default
>directory. I tried to install both of them in the same directory, the
>database wouldn't start. So I installed Personal Oracle8 first and then
>renamed it to a different directory, then I installed the Client. Each time
>I needed to use Personal Oracle8, I have to rename it back to orawin95 and
>rename Client as well. I don't mind this trouble, but I often got error
>messages when I try to use some programs such as sqlldr80. What should I do
>about it?

The Oracle software relies upon other files/libraries in its Oracle HOME directory. The reference to ORACLE_HOME on Windows 95 is contained in the registry key:

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ORACLE/ORACLE_HOME

So even though you are naming the ORAWIN95 directory to something else, this key most likely retains the value of the original directory.

I really don't see the need to install both the Personal Oracle8 software and the Oracle Client on the same machine. What is in the Oracle Client software that you use that isn't in the Personal Oracle8 for Windows 95 installation?

>Thank you.
>H. Mei

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Dec 01 1998 - 14:55:29 CET

Original text of this message