PB + Oracle 8.0.5 = Poor Performance

From: <cjoe125_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:05:32 GMT

Hi, colleagues!

  I recently installed Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on Sun Enterprise Server 450 with Solaris 2.6 and moved data from Oracle 7.3.2.2.0 database on HP 9000 with HP-UX 2.0B. The new Sun Server is much more powerful. So, with sqlplus, I compared results from these two machines and found that queries ran much faster in Oracle8 in the Sun box than in the HP. However, when I tested with application programs written by PowerBuilder, I got much poorer results from Oracle 8 on Sun. The application ran at least ten times slower connecting to Sun than to HP. I've tried Net8 and Sqlnet 2.3 as well as PowerBuilder 5.0.4, 6.0 and 6.5. The results were similar.

  After I spent almost a month's time on testing, I have to obtain the conlusion: Oracle 8 is not the suitable backend for PB, at least for the applications in our Co.

  One thing I should mention here is: the applications I tested with were originally developed with PB 5.0.4 and they were migrated to PB 6.0 and 6.5 when I did further testing, respectively. The applications with PFC in them.

  Shearson Li DBA IPC Information Systems, Inc.