Re: How do I switch from M$ to Oracle products?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 29 Nov 1998 19:12:18 GMT

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:33:17 -0800, "Billiam" <shockapo_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I find Oracle8i very intriguing, but I am not familiar with the Oracle product
>line. I thought Oracle client-server work was done using Developer2000 +
>Oracle7. It looks like there is a change in direction, and everything is being
>rolled in to Oracle8i using Java. Is this accurate? Or is that just for
>"ultra-thin" clients?

Developer 2000 will still exist, and is used for client programming. There is no doubt that Oracle is also embracing Java in a big way. They have another product called JDeveloper, that lets you develop Java applications. JDeveloper has its roots in Borland's JBuilder product. I've been impressed with it, but I havn't really done much either.

>I am use to VB + MS-SQL and Delphi+Interbase. Should I be looking in to
>Developer2000+Oracle8 or Oracle8i? I don't even know what tools are available,
>the ones that caught my eye (WebDB) appear to still be in beta.

WebDB sounds very intriguing, but I'm not certain that Oracle intends it for more than developing ad-hoc forms and reports. I havn't seen a copy yet myself. Any front-end tool, at least any good one, can be used against Oracle. Where I work, we have done:

	Visual Basic + Oracle
	Powerbuilder + Oracle
	JBuilder + Oracle
	Developer 2000 + Oracle
	Access + Oracle (yuck, don't do this one)

>Can I get Personal Oracle8 for free? Will that be a good learning tool?

I think you can get a 30-day demo, but I think that you can also get a 30-day demo of the Enterprise version. If you have NT, get the Enterprise version if you can. If you are interested in Developer 2000, you may want to see if you can get a demo of that as well.

>I'm ready to divorce myself from VB/Windows/MS-SQL and embrace
>Linux/Oracle8/Developer2000.

I want to try that Linux version myself. If I can just get out from under all these deadlines<g>...

regards,

Jonathan Received on Sun Nov 29 1998 - 20:12:18 CET

Original text of this message