roles and stored procedure

From: bolletje <r.vegmond_at_hexapole.nl>
Date: 1998/11/27

[Quoted] I'm making a few stored procedures with oracle to access a users table. to allow other users to access that table I have to give them rights to do that. My idea was to grant them those rights by creating a Role for it. That role contains the rights to access the table. I thought (how stupid of me) that a privilige granted through a role was the same as a direct granted privilige (for example the SELECT privilige). NOT!!
After trying a few options I lost all hope and I called Oracle to give me an answer, it was right, a privilige granted by a role doesn't work inside a stored procedure.
Ok for that, I have to give all users directly those rights (why use roles anyway)

but why is it different to grant a privilige through a role or directly???????

[Quoted] I realy need to know 'cause I need to tell other people why, Oracle couldn't say for them self, other people I know couldn't say either, I hope someone can give me the sollution.

Raymond Received on Fri Nov 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message