Re: Urgent: Monitoring the database

From: Lee Sang Ryung <srlee_at_shinsegi.com>
Date: 1998/11/27

Isidore Kounoupas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following problem: An application that uses Oracle 8.0.4 and
> Perl DBI, DBD libraries, suddenly spawns a lot of processes which seem
> to be stuck. CPU usage goes to high numbers. I'm not a DBA and I don't
> know if the following question is kind of basic. How can I detect from
> Oracle which processes are really stuck and when this started happening?
> Is there any good debugging tool that would be easy to use and report me
> such information?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Isidore

Hi,

You need check the ORACLE sessions which is doing somthing.

1)After connect svrmgrl, try this.

select sid, username,command,status,osuser,process from v$session where username != 'SYS' and username != 'SYSTEM'

. command column displays number, so you should check it by manual 'Oracle8 Server Reference Manual'
  eg) 0 means no command in process

      1 means create table
      2 means insert
      3 means select etc..

. IF status is ACTIVE, then this session is running the command . process means OS process ID.
  Maybe PID is oracle shadow process'id.

2)Find the top process using CPU resource, then compare PID and PPID of DB session's process.

  If two of that are same, that process is one which you want detect.

I hope these are useful for you. Bye. Received on Fri Nov 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message