PL/SQL, ProC++ Code Generation

From: <nxtwave_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:27:15 GMT

I have been faced with developing a large amount of code that accesses the database in a short period of time. The data access code tends to follow the same design pattern. In the past I have looked for code generators with enough flexibility to define this pattern and generate the data access code required. I haven't found a reasonably priced product that offered the flexibility I required. I would be interested in what other people have used?

I am currently using a template based generator which utilises Java and JDBC I have written called SmartGen. Through the use of SQL statements and template files containing tags I have been able to develop ProC++, PL/SQL, HTML code.

It is possible to buy a data access layer but sometimes you have to over customise these to provide all the functionality you require.

For anyone interested in the code generator I have developed called SmartGen it is available at http://www.nxt-wave.com/smartgen/

It comes with a simple PL/SQL code generation example. It uses Oracle's data dictionary to build a package per table that provides update,insert and delete procedures.

I would be interested in other developers experiences with flexible code generation.

Regards,

Greg Montgomery
greg_at_nxt-wave.com
http://www.nxt-wave.com/