Migration Planning : 7.1 to 8.0, Forms4 to 5 and Reports 2 to 3

From: <Nilesh_at_cheerful.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:45:48 GMT

We would like to upgrade the current database from Oracle 7.1 to Oracle 8. The existing database is under Digital Unix. All the forms and reports have been made using Forms 4.0 and Reports 2.0, and are character based. The database size is around 7 GB.

What would be the best way to migrated? Can anyone who has upgraded give me a few pointers?

Is it true that 7.0 and 7.1 have to be migrated to 7.2 or 7.3, and then on to Oracle 8?

Is it also true that all the Forms 4.0 and Reprots 2.0 applications have to be migrated to Forms 4.5 and Reports 2.5 before migrating to Forms 5.0 and Reports 3.0?

We have still not decided on the operating system. Are there any explicit advantages of Oracle on Unix to Oracle on NT. This time we may go in for a parallel server, it wasnt so earlier. Cost and legacy support is not a problem. The transactions rates are not very high. The database is huge, but that is because no data has ever been archived or brought offline. Current data is generally in the range of 300 to 700 MB at the most. Only 20 users need to access the database, and about 1000 transactions a day total. Twice a year the transactions peak to around 7,000 to 10,000 per day, but then thats it.

In such a scenario, should I go in for Sun or HP Unix, or should I go for NT4?

Thanks,
Nilesh Porwal
Bombay