Pipe Problems

From: Michelle Warner <hrdbdy_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1998/11/12

[Quoted] I am using a ProC daemon to communicate between an application running on the Oracle Web Application Server and shell scripts. The scripts are launched by the ProC daemon executing a system command. The daemon is made up of a listener and sql_processor modules. The listener process listens on the pipe and when a message is received the first item is unpacked and placed in a global variable and then a fork is performed and the sql_processor module is called by the child. The parent/listener goes back to listening on the pipe. The child unpacks the remaining items on the pipe, does some processing and then returns information, a status on a return pipe to the web application. But it appears the web application never receives the status. When I remove the fork every thing appears to work fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Should the listener unpack the entire pipe before forking the child since the listener goes back to listening on the same pipe?

Thanks in advance.

--
Peace,
      Michelle