Re: PRO*C Find Set Size

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/11/12

A copy of this was sent to ghharrac_at_neodata.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:23:30 GMT, you wrote:

>Can I determine the number of rows/tuples that
>a query (select) will return ?

No.

>I know that I can obtain the current row, but
>not the number of resultant rows from the query.
>
>Does ORACLE complete/determine the find set before
>the fetch cycle and return one tuple of the set
>for every fetch ???????

No it does not. Consider for example:

select * from a_one_million_row_table;

it will start returning rows immediately (it will not get the last row before it returns the first row).

In this case, Oracle only discovers that there is 1,000,000 rows when it hits the last row....

>George H
>ghharrac_at_neodata.com

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.