Order By Bogs down the Statement

From: Rich McGillicuddy <mcgill_at_mcgillX.com>
Date: 1998/11/05

Hello,

I currently have a Personal Oracle database and we are running queries fairly fast on it except a couple. These queries run real fast except if I add an order by to the SQL Statement. Why is this and how can I speed it up. I have added numerous indices with no luck. It is a table with about 40 fields in it an a customizable grid that allows the user to sort on any column so a specific index that would hit a single column will not due. We are in the process of upgrading to Oracle 8 and may try some different things with that but is there any answer with Personal Oracle 7.3.

The difference in speed is that without an order by, the query finishes in under a second, with an order by over 3 minutes. The table has less than 100,000 rows.

Rich McGillicuddy
mcgill_at_creative.net Received on Thu Nov 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message