Forms V3 and Siemens Nixdorf RM600 / RM400 HOST command problem

From: <carlbeech_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 11:40:47 GMT

I'm working on a Siemens Nixdorf RM 400 (prior to porting our application to RM 600 Unix V5.44), which is written in Oracle 6.0.36 and Forms V 3.0.16.12.9. on MIS/12 SMP_DC.OSx.

Our forms use the HOST command in a number of places to start reports / unix scripts. In moving to the new machine, we have found we get an error (FRM- 40811, Shell command had error) - even though the shell program completed successfully.

We've contacted Oracle, and tried their suggestions so far, but these havn't cured the problem as yet. Suggestions we've had so far:

  • $ORAPIPES=V2 - didn't make any difference
  • Downgrade our version of FORMS - don't know if this is wise as it may introduce new bugs
  • Trap and throw away the error message within forms - but we won't know if an actual error occurs.

If you know any other means of correcting this problem, (or know anyone else who does) please let me know.

Many thanks

Carl Beech
EIS Manager
North Staffordshire Hospital Trust