Using a variable in a select clause

From: <dosberg7268_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:36:23 GMT

[Quoted] This didn't make sense on the first posting so lets try it again.

I'm building a cursor to execute several actions inside of a procedure. But I need to retrieve a value from a dictionary table in order to do a SELECT..INTO statement. The part I'm having trouble with would look like this:

	Declare
		 x Varchar2(25);
		 s Varchar2(25);
	Begin
		x:='CustId';
 		Select x into s from Orders Where OrderId = 1234;
	End;

As I loop through the cursor I want to constantly be resetting X and insert a value into S. But the Select statement doesn't interpret the value of X as the literal string. I just get the value of X into the variable S. I figure there has got to be some way to do this. I would appreciate any advice.

David Osberg