Re: [Question] Designer2000

From: SROCEO <sroceo_at_aol.com>
Date: 1 Nov 1998 23:05:44 GMT

>Hi !
>The application I am working in is undocumented.
>I would like to have an easy-to-read data model, but the application has
>over 300 tables. Is Designer 2000 a good tool for reverse engeneering ?

Yes Designer/2000 is the best tool that I have used for an Oracle database. I have used Designer/2000 to reverse engineer over 1000 tables. However, be patient when reverse engineering a large number of tables. It will take some time and it may appear as if your system has frozen. Just find another workstation to use until the utility has completed its task.

The trick is how to group these accordiningly for a useful Data Schema Diagram.  Once you have reverse engineered your tables you may want to just open up a new Data Schema Diagram, include all table definitions and then print this model using a plotter. Then decide where tables can be logically grouped on a single diagram.

You could also run a few table definition and constraint reports to see where your dependencies are and then create Data Schema Diagrams according to this grouping.

Hope this is helpful. Regards. Received on Mon Nov 02 1998 - 00:05:44 CET

Original text of this message