Oracle/Web Communication Method

From: Fred J. Leskowitz <fred_at_micropat.com>
Date: 1998/10/30

We have Oracle 7.3.3.4 on NT currently receiving messages from our web via a SQL*Plus connection. Basically, the web keeps a pipe open to Oracle and puts sql commands or calls procedures/functions as needed. The results are screen scraped by unix shell utilities.

This works fine for communication from web TO oracle.

Can anyone suggest a method whereby Oracle on NT can send messages to the web?

My thoughts so far:

  • use DBMS_FILE to write to a file, have unix watch for the file [slow?]
  • same, but append to a file, have unix treat the file as a "database"
  • use the pipe method, have unix screen scrape results
  • use the pipe method, have Oracle return results as HTML text document

Any suggestions directions greatly appreciated.

  • Fred
--
Fred J. Leskowitz      <fred_at_micropat.com>   Voice: +1.203.466.5055
Oracle Database Programmer, MicroPatent      Fax:   +1.203.466.5054