Searching for Advice, Insight and Help in Avoiding Trouble

From: Steven Ulbrich <sjutmp_at_email.msn.com>
Date: 1998/10/28

Personal Background:
VB programmer for four Years:
Database Used Primarily Is MS Access and Btrieve

Current Project:
Travel Data Analysis and Reporting Tool for my corporate clients.

Program Development:
VB front End Program
Oracle 8 or MS Access Database?

The company has purchased Oracle 8 Enterprise on a NT Server. I am just starting to take classes to understand oracle, but I'm not sure if Oracle is the best choice.

Data must be transferred or replicated to the client site. Data transfer can be one-way or bi-directional.

Data Replication Choice 1:

Client Computer will have Oracle Personal or Oracle for Workgroup, but I need to understand what is involved using the replication manager with each system. My only experience is using MS Access Replication Manager. I need some information to make a comparison.

Data Replication Choice 2:

Purchase a very expensive replication program to handle the replication process, but spending $25,000.00 (average cost) is quite a bit out of the budget range.

I looking for information using the replication manager with Oracle server and personal edition. The information I can locate on the web is theory and slide show representations.

Thanks in Advance for your help

Steven Ulbrich
sjutmp_at_msn.com Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message