Re: UpLoading of ASCII-data files

From: Lynn Woods <netter_at_slip.net>
Date: 27 Oct 1998 16:10:22 -0800

Basically there are two ways you can upload ascii file from Oracle.

  1. Using SQL*Loader
  2. Using oracle package that will read and write from flat files. Package come automaticall w/ PL/SQL.

Using the first method will GENERALLY require a staging table, that is load from ascii to staging table. Then, you will write PL/SQL routine to clean and transform data to the appropriate production table(s). You will also need to know how to write loader scripts, eg control files.

Using the second method, there is more control. However, there is also MORE work. This method is very similiar to readline and writeline in Pascal or C. Note: You MUST have your dba give you access to the directory structure.

An easier method is to get tools, such as Smartdb Workbench. It has point and click GUI tool, that do data cleansing, transformation and load the data for you. It's very cool. Most people use this tool to migration data and interfaces.

from
a SmartDB employee.
feel free to email me if you have any question.

I want to upload data from a ascii-file into my oracle-db. I'm looking for a "upload-tool".

Maybe sombody can help me.

Bye LD Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 01:10:22 CET

Original text of this message