Oracle 8 Network Config puzzle

From: George P. Pipkin <gpp8p_at_Virginia.EDU>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 18:53:35 -0400

Hi Everybody -

   I'm new to this group, and relativly new to Oracle. I had a copy of Personal Oracle 7 on my NT box, and I recently got Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition. I installed it on my NT box after uninstalling everything I coule from the Oracle 7 install, deleting the \orant directory, and blowing off all the Oracle keys in the registry (both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER).

   After the installation indicated that it was successful, I go to configure a servie using Oracle Net8 Easy Config. The first bad sign is I get a message telling me "Comment Information has been detected in the Network Configuration File" (where is this file ???). Then I move on to set up the service. It's a TCP/IP connection, and I enter the machine name and the service name on the host. When I go to test it, I get this error message:

"Application c:\orant\jre11\bin\java.exe is attempting to call the OCI function <olog>. This function cannot be found in ORANT71.DLL".

Needless to say, the test does not succeed, coming back with an error ORA-00000 (I guess this means it can't talk at all...sorry).

So - anybody have any ideas about what's going on here???

  • George Pipkin --
    George P. Pipkin h - (804)-973-4086 1001 Emmet St. w - (804)-924-1329 Carruthers Hall fax - (804)-982-2777 Charlottesville, Va. 22903 http://jm.acs.virginia.edu/~gpp8p/