Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway

From: Tim Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/10/22

Dawn,

Oracle has a bunch of different gateways. They basically into two categories:

  1. Transparent Gateways, which provide SQL access
  2. Procedural Gateways, which provide access to business logic (transactions)

We have transparent gateways for Sybase, Informix, SQL Server, DB/2, and most of the other relational databases. For SQL access to mainframe datastores such as IDMS, Datacom, and Model 204 we have the Transparent Gateway for EDA/SQL (TG4EDA). This product does use Information Builders EDA/SQL Server. So, in effect, it is a gateway to a gateway. EDA/SQL knows how to submit and process SQL to all of the mainframe data stores. By putting an Oracle Transparent Gateway in front of EDA/SQL, you essentially make the mainframe data store look like Oracle. You can even due distributed transactions protected by Oracle's Two Phase Commit mechanism.

I have some experience with the TG4EDA. You can email me privately with any questions.

Tim Taylor
Technical Account Manager
Oracle Government, Education, and Health Reston, VA