Re: Fail connecting to Personal Oracle 8.0

From: Patrick Flahan <flahan_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:31:19 -0400

This is a copy of an email that I got from a Richard Teunissen in the Netherlands. We were having the same problem that you are (at least it sounds the same) and this fixed it right up

Patrick

Patrick,
It is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Installing Personal Oracle 8.0x:

When you install PO8 you have to install 'Oracle Networking Products 2.3.4.0.2'. This option includes 'SQL*Net 2.3.4.0.2' and the 'Oracle Protocol Adapters' (Named Pipes, SPX & TCP/IP). At the end you should have installed SQL*Net 8.0.x & 2.3.4.0.2 and Oracle Protocol Adapters 8.0.x & 2.3.4.0.0.

Installing Developer 2.1:

SQL*Net is still installed and therefore it will not be installed when you p.e. install FORMS 5 (the SQL*Net-version on the Developer-CD is an older version). You shouldn't install SQL*Net yourself!!

Now you should be able to connect from Developer 2.1 (FORMS 5, REPORTS 3, SQL*Plus 3.3) to the Oracle 8-database.

Please let me know if you get it working too.

Good luck,
Richard