Re: Forms 5.0 - Web Forms ?

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:53:19 GMT

In article <362c48ee.0_at_news.datacomm.ch>,   "BEY Pascal" <beyp_at_mygale.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My trouble today is to found out what are Web forms, and how to find some
> help on it !
>
> A second trouble is that I have to convert forms 3.0 to forms 4.5 or 5.0 .
> I've heard about the bug fixes with forms 4.5, and the bigest possibilities
> with forms 5.0.
> But does forms 5.0 work on an AIX system on an IBM e20 (risk 6000).
> My problem is that some client stil have for a few time terminal screens
> with only text display !
>
> I hope solve this terminal problem with Web forms !
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer !

> Pascal BEY
> Dataconnect AG : http://www.dataconnect.ch
> E-mail : beyp_at_mygale.org
> ICQ : 11403200

Hello, Pascal,

  Although I'm rather new at this stuff myself, perhaps I can answer some of your questions. Web forms are standard compiled Oracle forms (.FMX) which are deployed on a Web server machine and accessed through a standard browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Communicator. Oracle's vision for this sort of arrangement is embodied in its 3-tier Network Computing Architecture (NCA), which you can read about at Oracle's Web site (check out http://www.oracle.com/products/tools/wds/collat.html). This architecture involves a Java applet providing the user interface and running in a browser on client machines, a Web server and Forms server running on a server machine (middle-tier), and an Oracle database running on the third-tier (same server machine or possibly a different one). If you have more specific questions regarding how all of this works, please contact me by e-mail. Regarding your question about Forms 5.0 for AIX, I'm not completely sure, but I think that Forms 5.0 is currently available for this platform. According to the Oracle online store, Developer Server v1.6 is the latest version of this product for AIX, but I'm not sure how up-to-date/reliable this is. Your safest bet is to contact Oracle Sales directly via phone or e-mail and ask. As for providing for standard dumb terminals, Web forms are not the answer since you need to be able to run a browser to access forms over the Web. However, Oracle still provides character-mode run-time engines that will allow users to access forms (with the same/similar functionality) from dumb terminals. Moreover, with careful form design, the exact same form can be used in character-mode, client/server mode, and Web mode. Hope this helps.

Cary