OraWorld News Update 10/16/98

From: Kathleen O'Connor <koconnor_at_oraworld.com>
Date: 1998/10/16

OraWorld News Update
Friday, Oct. 16, 1998
info_at_oraworld.com
http://www.oraworld.com

OraWorld is not affiliated with Oracle Corp. in any way.

Do you want to get certified as an Oracle database administrator or developer and increase your earning potential? Use OraWorld's new OCP Study Guides (http://www.oraworld.com/ocpdba.htm) to help prepare for each of Oracle Corp.'s OCP DBA tests. Our study guides list the topics in each exam, and provide you with hyperlinks to the corresponding lessons in OraWorld's courseware so that you can better prepare for and pass each OCP exam.

Are you attending Oracle Open World 1998 in San Francisco, Nov 8 -12? If so, please visit Animated Learning, Inc./OraWorld at Booth #2613 in the exhibit hall. We'll have some exciting news announcements about our products, as well as hourly raffles for free t-shirts, books, and more! Please come by and say hello.

Please see the bottom of this message for instructions on how to subscribe to this email news list.
                   TOP STORIES

Following are abstracts of the top stories for this week. Please visit http://www.oraworld.com/news.htm for the full text of all of these stories.

  • ORAWORLD CAREER CORNER This week, OraWorld spotlights:
    • Are mentors right for your company?
    • High-tech job listing site that include job search, job listings, job and relocation tools, and career-related links.
    • A free forum and search engine for computer professionals seeking employment.
  • ORACLE ADDS NEW FEATURES TO ORACLE8I Oracle continues to release new functionality for its Oracle8i database. Oracle is enhancing its Oracle8i database and Oracle8i Parallel Server for the higher scalability and availability demands of online transaction processing (OLTP) and Internet applications.
  • LARRY ELLISON INC. At ITxpo ’98 in New York, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison announced: "The Internet is the future. It is the future of Oracle, it is the future of computing." Read this story to find out more about Ellison’s latest pontifications.
  • ORACLE JDEVELOPER TOOL UPGRADE TO BE READY FOR OPENWORLD Oracle is expected to deliver the version 2.0 of its jDeveloper tool at the Nov. 9-12 Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco.
  • ORACLE DELIVERS PROJECT WEBDB BETA Oracle's Project WebDB Web tool, aimed at nontechnical users, is now available in a public beta version. OraWorld tells you how to obtain a copy for free.
  • TRY AND BUY ORACLE PRODUCTS VIA THE WEB You’ve been able to download trial Oracle software by yourself for a while (we tell you how), but Oracle now wants you to listen to its hype before you do with its new Internet Seminars.
  • ORACLE FOR LINUX AVAILABLE NOW At Internet World, Oracle announced immediate availability of Oracle8 and Oracle Application Server for the Linux operating system and the Apache Web server.
  • ORACLE FINANCING HELPS YOUR FINANCIALS APPS GET Y2K-COMPLIANT Worried about your financials applications and the Year 2000? Can’t afford new software financials package to help you become Y2K-compliant? Oracle is offering to help.
  • ORACLE ANNOUNCES ORACLE FRONT OFFICE VERSION 3.0 Oracle announced the latest version of Front Office, which includes several new applications.
  • ORACLE SHIPS UPGRADE TOOL FOR MICROSOFT SQL SERVER Oracle shipped a new tool, Oracle Migration Workbench, which allows for data conversion from any version of Microsoft SQL Server to the Oracle8 database.
  • INFORMIX BUYS RED BRICK FOR $35 MILLION Informix signs an agreement to buy Red Brick to add to its data warehousing offerings, and riles one of Red Brick’s largest shareholders.

UPCOMING ORACLE EVENTS
(for a complete listing of events,
visit http://www.oraworld.com/events.htm)

Oct. 25 - 29
Oracle Applications User Group (OAUG) Conference Fall Honolulu Convention Center, Honolulu, Hawaii 1.404.240.0999
http://www.oaug.org/hawaii/hawconf.html

Nov. 3 - 5
Database & Client/Server World - Building Enterprise Solutions Chicago, Illinois
http://www.dci.com/database/

Nov. 8 - 13
Oracle OpenWorld '98
Moscone Convention Center
San Francisco, California
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/seminars_and_events/openworld/

KNOW SOMEONE THAT WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE THIS NEWS? Tell your friend to send a note to news_at_oraworld.com with their email ID in the body of the message and we'll add them to our news mailing list for free.

Trademarks and registered trademarks of mentioned products or services belong to their respective companies. Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message