Re: Problem with utl_file.FOPEN function

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:35:06 GMT

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:54:34 GMT, "Marek Ochal" <mochal_at_ci.comarch.pl> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a problem when I'm trying to write a file to server in PL/SQL.
>I use UTL_FILE package. While using function:
> FUNCTION fopen(location IN VARCHAR2,
> filename IN VARCHAR2,
> open_mode IN VARCHAR2) RETURN file_type,
>I'm getting exception INVALID_PATH. However the path, I'm trying to pass as
>location parameter, is correct (u02/app/oracle/admin/DB2/udump/) and it
>exists on a server.
>Can anybody help me?

I really doubt the path you provided in your post is correct. You should omit the last trailing slash ("/") from your location parameter, and I bet you also need the leading (root) slash in your path!

So your loaction parameter for the UTL_FILE.FOPEN should read: /u02/app/oracle/admin/DB2/udump

Make also sure that exactly the same path is set in your init<SID>.ora UTL_FILE_DIR parameter. And make sure that oracle has the write permition in this directory.

>Marek Ochal

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 20:35:06 CEST

Original text of this message