Re: oracle named pipes

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:44:43 GMT

[Quoted] A copy of this was sent to ruzi_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:20:07 GMT, you wrote:

>I'm working with ORACLE7. In my application, I want to call programs from
>outside via PL/SQL. The onliest possibility I have is to call programs via a
>named pipe. This is provides by the DBMS_PIPE-Package. This is a very
>uncomfortable way of communication. Normally in other programming languages I
>can find a comfortable API. I want to call a C/C++- or COBOL-program.
>
>Now my question: Is there someone, who wrote a package or function in PL/SQL,
>that you can communicate via the named pipe so comfortable as via an API?
>Where can I find such a package or function? What are the conditions to use
>such a solution?

You might want to check out plex -- it writes all of the code for you to create these daemons. You create a 'stub' procedure such as:

create or replace procedure my_proc( x in number, y out varchar2 ) as
begin
 null;
end;

and it will rewrite the procedure to pack all in/ in-out vars onto a pipe, read all of the in-out/out vars from the pipe and generate all of the Pro*C code you would normally write the unpack/pack the pipes. All you do is write the body of a subroutine that recieves x and y as variables in a structure...

For more info:

http://govt/govt/owa/style.page?p_id=62&p_sub=3

In Oracle8, this functionality exists in a feature called "External Procedures"...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.