Re: varchar2 and varchar

From: Thierry Poels <PoelsT_at_DMA.BE>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:58:18 +0200

Hi,

varchar is now equal to varchar2. In earlier releases of Oracle there was a slight difference in comparison semantics. I was told that varchar has become obsolete and might be removed in future releases.

The rule is always use varchar2 for strings, and char(1) for single character fields.

greetings,
Thierry Poels
DBA & Unix System Manager for VTB-VAB
HTTP://www.vab.be