Re: Newbie: Overwhelmed

From: Haakon T Soenderland <haakonts_at_online.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:41:58 +0200

Paul Dorsey wrote:
[snipped good advice]
> >Instances: one Vs multiple: Pros/Cons

I would like to know this myself. The administrative and application development overhaed with more than one instance must be offset by something, but what? (I'm assuming multiple instances on the same machine here).

[snip]
> >In Batch processing what is the best way to go from a text file to an
> >Oracle table and then to a text file again
>
> There are PL/SQL packages that handle that. TEXT_IO on the client side
> UTIL_FILE on the server side.

I would have though that SQL*Loader and simple SQL*Plus scripts would be more approppriate in most situations, no?

> >what tools should we have to monitor/debug PL/SQL, Designer, and Developer
> >Code?
>
> SQL Navigator from Quest is a must have.

Or TOAD, which is free from http://www.toadsoft.com It's pretty good actually, some would say better than SQL Navigator.

Haakon

--
Core Technology AS