Row level locks and Sessionid!

From: Ram Pudupet <rpudupet_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1998/10/09

H'yall,
[Quoted] I had posted a question to this forum last week about locking issues and

obtained responses that were really helpful. Let me continue this discussion further.
Problem Stmt: If I try to lock a row, the stmt errors out if some other user has locked it. How do I obtain information about the sesson that has locked the row?
Relevant info and issues: If I specify a wait option when requesting the

lock, I can get the session information from the v$session and v$lock tables. However this would mean that the original session cannot query these tables because it is waiting on a lock. If I use a nowait, there is no wait information in the v$lock and v$ session tables. Just getting

the object# wont do because many sesisons can have locks on different rows in the same table.
I can get the rowid when I request a lock with the nowait option. I need

to translate this to the information in the v$lock, and/or v$transaction

tables.
Has anyone had this problem before and if so what are my options? Where can I get information about the individual columns in the v$lock, v$session , and v$transaction tables?? There are a bunch of columns in there that I know can be used to get the info that I'm looking for. Heeelllp!
Ram Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message