Re: Designer 2K Exception Error

From: <colerick_at_borg.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 18:12:32 GMT

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 08:07:22 +1000, "Rod Stewart" <rod.stewart_at_afp.gov.au> wrote:

>We ended up giving our Des2k drivers admin rights on their local machines,
>they needed the flexibility anyway and it didn't significantly affect
>security on the server.
>
>Rod Stewart
>
>Jeff Guan wrote in message <6vir1t$dqr$1_at_hermes.louisville.edu>...
>>Can anyone help with the following:
>>Configuration: Oracle 7.3 on NT4.0
>> Designer 2K with NT 4.0 clients
>>Problem: Only a user with NT administrator previleges can execute Oracle
>>Server Generator (ie General SQL DDL) from Designer 2K. A regular NT
>account
>>user(without admin rights) will get an exception error or access violation.
>>Any help or hint is highly appreciated.

Start looking at user priveleges both in the filesystem and the registry especially if you are running NTFS. Your users may not have write permissions to the working directories that the generators are using to write the source files. The windows TEMP directory should also be writable by all.

Also the registry may have security limited to specific users so that registry setting and entries cannot be modified/updated by the programs as your users run them.

The usual Warnings and "Don't blame me if this hoses your machine" apply to the following. Do at your own risk (not that it's that big of a deal but I'd experiment on a machine that you don't mind reformatting if you're not used to playing in the registry).

Run regedt32 check out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE. From the menu select Security/Permissions. To really open up the permissions give Full Control to Everyone , making sure to put a check in the box: Replace Permissions on Existing Subkeys.

This may or may not work. Another solution that might or might not work is to format the drive as FAT not NTFS, install the software make sure it runs for all users then CONVERT the drive to NTFS later. What this does is makes all the permissions FULL for EVERYONE throughout the drive and the registry. Then you lock down only those drive areas and registry areas that you really want to secure.

Having said all this, I kinda like Rod's solution better. : )

Ken
colerick_at_borg.com Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 20:12:32 CEST

Original text of this message