How do I Release a Locked Record?

From: Troy Perchotte <max_at_headroom.com>
Date: 1998/10/08

I am having problems with users being prevented from commiting their changes to my Oracle 8.04 database, because the Access97 frontend claims that "...another user has made changes to this record". The user is then forced to discard their changes, and start over again.

Therefore I decided to lock the current record for the user by issuing a "select ... for update" command. This works, and when the user has finished making their changes, the record is committed, and the lock is automatically released by Oracle.

The problem is, how do I unlock the record if the user decides not to make any changes?
I suppose that I could just write whatever value is already in one of the fields back again, making Oracle think that the record actually changed. This seems more like a work-around though.

[Quoted] Is there any command that I can issue to just unlock a given record?

Thanks,

Troy Perchotte
tperchot at direct.ca Received on Thu Oct 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message