Re: Getting the first row from a select

From: <gbray1_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/10/07

The rownum = 1 will often work correctly. Of course, if you use an ORDER BY clause then you complicate things. If you use the order by clause then the order by happens AFTER the rownum = 1 criteria is met which then often gives the wrong answer. I say often because if your where clause causes Oracle to use the same index that the order by uses then you can get away with the order by clause because Oracle is reading in the order of the index.

Geoffrey Bray
Tandy Corp.