Oracle8 on NT 5.0 ?

From: Yan Ge <yage_at_waksman.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 13:34:47 -0400

Hi! Everyone. I had trouble installing Oracle8 on my NT 5.0 (beta-1 version) worksation, please help me out if you can. Thanks a lot.
  1. When I tried to install the trial version Oracle8 8.0.4 Enterprise version, it first give me two error messages: " Unable to stop/start the

NT service for Oracel web publishing assistant during the installation..", after I clicked OK, the installation continued, then later on anothe error message: " Unable to delete the NT service for the SQL*Net v2 listener." then the installation stoped with some of the components installed. This is my first experience with Oracle installation and I do not have much experience with NT. I suspect the problem might be caused by my Networking setup rather than an internal problem with NT-5.0. A friend of mine who is a NT expert helped me set up the NIC and Network settings but I think I might need to do something

specific for the Oracle 8.

2. After I deleted everything from the installation of the Oracle8 8.0.4 Enterprise version, I installed the Oracle8 client 8.0.5 surprisingly smoothly on the same OS, but I can not log on to those built-in example databases to use anything. When I opened the Net8 Assistant, it gave me an error message saying:"Comment information has been detected in your Network Configuration files which may be lost or reposiitoned when you save your network configuration." And if I continue to test those connections, eg. the BEQ-LOCAL.World, using the default SYSTEM-MANAGER login, it gave me the message: "The test did not succeed.
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

There may be an error in the fields entered or the server may not be ready for a connection. You can check the server and retry, or continue."

I read those manus but could not get a clue. Please drop me a line or two at your convenience. Thanks a lot.

Yan Ge Received on Tue Oct 06 1998 - 19:34:47 CEST

Original text of this message