Help (again): specify record separator in SQL*Loader

From: <hluo_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 23:13:11 GMT

Hi, I already posted a msg on this yesterday. Maybe I wasn't quite clear what I was asking. I have some datafiles in the format:

2,4;3,6;7,8;9,20

"," is the field separator and ";" is the record separator, i.e., the datafile should be loaded into a table as:

Field1 Field2

2      4
3      6
7      8
9      20

One datafile may potentially contain 10,000+ such records. As you can see, there is no "\n" in the datafile. Therefore, SQL*Loader would treat the whole file as 1 physical record -- no matter how I contruct my control file, all I can do is to specify the field separator, not the record separator. I could use more than one INTO TABLE clauses, but if I use n INTO TABLE clauses, I can only get n records into the database, and the rest of the file is just ignored by SQL*Loader. I can not possibly use 10,000+ INTO TABLE clauses to load the 10,000+ records.

I can use a program to pre-process the datafile and change all record separator into "\n" before going to SQL*Loader. However, since the number of records is large and datafiles come in on regular basis, I would like to know a way to avoid preprocessing. I would appreciate it if somebody can give me some suggestion, or tell me it's impossible to do so that I can give up the search. I can be reached at hluo_at_lynx.neu.edu.

  • H Luo