Re: How to change column names?

From: Steve Mitchell <steve_at_mitchells.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/09/30

> this is definitely possible. i have a similar script and have used it
> several times. it is UNSUPPORTED and you will have to bounce the instance
> to see the change, but it beats the hell out of copying the whole table.

I did do this myself once when I couldn't be bothered to create a new table with a change of name to just one column so I directly alter the data in the data dictionary in COL$. Instead of restarting the instance I just flushed the shared pool and the column was renamed. Don't recommend it in a production environment though.

Steve Received on Wed Sep 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message