Re: PLS HELP WITH SQL*FORM45 RUNNING ON CHINESE WINDOWS 3.1

From: <garethgadd_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:18:44 GMT

In article <360FB980.103A6C56_at_information.com.hk>,   Johnny Cheung <jcheung_at_information.com.hk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some SQL*FORM45 programs which have some fields for English input
> only and some for both Chinese and English input.
> Is there any way to prevent users to input Chinese Characters to those
> "English input only" fields?

Within the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger for each item that you want to restrict input to ENGLISH characters you could use the TRANSLATE function to convert all ENGLISH characters to a nominal value (e.g. convert all ENGLISH (allowable values) characters to an '*' ) and then evaluate that the TRANSLATEd string ( should now just be a string of '*' if only ENGLISH characters entrered) doesn't contain anything other than your nominal value, if it does then error out and don't let them navigate out of the field unless a valid value is entered.

Hope this helps.

Gareth