Re: Software gone mad ??

From: Joe Brown <joebrownNO_SPAM_me_very_MUCH_at_leading.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:54:45 GMT

I can't claim to be an authoritative gnome of Oracle tools, but am blessed (and cursed) with intuitative sixth sence concerning computers software and programming, which does provide me some insite.

Your observations are amuse me. I've been working with Oracle's Designer 2000 for a couple of years now.

It seems ironic that Microsoft's claim to fame and fortune stems from new OS versions maintaining compatibility with previous versions. The irony is that Oracle Tools downfall is due to maintaining compatibility with previous versions.

What's more ironic is the number of bugs in their Developer 2000 Version 2.0, a majority of which, I attribute to maintaining compatibility with a nonexistent Unix counterpart.

This is speculation. The bugs could be due adding far too many features to an already bloated product.

Oracle support called ME once and asked why I was calling so much... I don't believe that paid support has the right to pose such a question. Especially when every "feature" be it documented or most likely NOT, should work as advertised, yet many do not.

After working with Forms version 5.0.5.??? for a month and calling support nearly every day, I located most all of the bugs that concern me, and had logged quite a few new ones.

(Does the name of an Icon file still interfere with appearance???)

I promptly quit calling, not due to their request. Calling support ate up more of my time than I could justify. Much simpler to assume bug and no fix anticipated. My support did run out a month or two later, and I have no intension on renewing.

I do wish their documentation was worth a damn.

I've seen their documentation go from bad to worse. And to my amazement, it continues to get worse.

I've had the misfortune, and a necessity to look up informaiton in their latest offering that comes with Oracle 8 for 95/NT. It seems that you need a dedicated machine, gobbs of RAM, Microsoft's Internet Explorer and a hell of a lot of tenacity, to look up a simple SELECT option.

I thank the gods for the SQLHELP.HLP file that came with WGS 7.1.3.3.3

--
joebrown
_at_leading.net