Re: ORACLE vs Sybase

From: <attwoody_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/09/24

In article <01bde781$f8170ea0$d86518d2_at_tanbk>,   "Darren Tan B K" <tanboonk_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> hi,
>
> ORACLE or Sybase?
>
> I would like to know which database is best suited (in terms of
> performance, stability, upgrades, ease of use) for a banking environment
> where data from an IBM Mainframe is imported into the database. The
> database will be installed into a Sun Solaris unix system.
>
> Which has a bigger market share in the Banking Industry?
>
> Regards
> Darren Tan
Greetings,

I don't know anything about Sybase, so I can't comment on it. However, you may want to consider the following:

If your data on the mainframe is stored in DB2 tables, you can load it into Oracle tables - Oracle's SQL*Loader is compatible with the DB2 Load Utility; the control file from the DB2 Load Utility can be used with SQL*Loader.

Regards,

Yaca Attwood