Re: Writing to named Pipes

From: <keithm_at_sweeney.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/09/24

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:58:45 GMT, kjohnson29_at_my-dejanews.com <kjohnson29_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>I'm interested in creating a trigger that will write columns from the
>triggered row to a named pipe. The process on the other side of the pipe is
>a non-PL/SQL program, likely written in C or PERL. I had intended to use the
>UTL_FILE package to do this, if possible, but now I'm wondering about the
>DBMS_PIPE package. Does anyone have any info on doing this? Any example
>code? Any reasons to use one method over the other?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Keith

DBMS_PIPE works quite simply, but you must ensure the reading process keeps running. If it stops the pipe will fill up and the application trying to write to it will hang, To the puzzlement of all until the reading process is checked.

Try to include a process that checks periodically for the reader and restarts it if necessary.

I have found Pl/SQL readers tend to fall over if driven too hard (not the ideallanguage for reader processes but the site management had something against using 'C' no matter how serious the need).

Keith Matthews
Developer/DBA Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message